Maranta Zebrina plant is a wonderful perennial indoor plant with attractive leaves. It is also called Zebra plant because of it’s characteristic for having zebra-like patterns on its elliptic leaves. It grows well in the shade as a pot plant or ground cover. This evergreen plant is preferred as an indoor plant because of its attractive foliage. The leaves are dark green above, dark red below, the spines, veins and margins etched in lime green. Above all, It is really a living plant, because they fold the leaves upwards at night and opens them again in the morning. This perennial plant produces flowers rarely. This plant is ideal for home and office indoors, shaded balconies and shady outdoor locations.
Maranta Zebrina gained the RHS’s (Royal Horticultural Society) Award of Garden Merit. This award is given for the plants which are easy to care, excellence for garden decoration, available horticulturally and unsusceptible to any pest or disease. Maranta Zebrina also makes a contribution to a better and healthier indoor climate by purifying the air.
It is growing to 1 m (3 ft 3 in). The long stalks to 30 cm (12 in) carry elliptical leaves 45 cm (18 in) or longer.
Scientific Name: Calathea zebrina
Common Name: Zebra plant, Striped-leaved Maranta
Use: Purifies the air
Toxicity: Non-toxic to cats and dogs.
Maranta Zebrina Care
- Required low maintenance
- Sunlight: bright but shaded spot. Not tolerate direct sun.
- Soil: Moist
- Water: At the growing season, keep the soil moist. Water regular with a small amount of water or every 2 weeks. Allow the top soil to become slightly dry between each watering. Never let Plant sit in water. Don’t allow water to stand in the pot. On winter, reduce watering.
- Temperature: 16 °C (61 °F), Normal room temperature around 20°C is suitable for all year round
- Fertilizer: Apply any balanced liquid fertilizer every 2 weeks. No need to feed in winter
- Re-potting: During the spring
- Propagation: By dividing the main plant at the re-potting time.