Orange Spider Plant is a rare and particularly stunning evergreen plant with broad green foliage and vibrant orange-hued petioles and leaf midribs. It also is known as Fire-Flash because the bright orange colour remains year-round and really illuminates the centre of each plant. This plant is very ornamentally attractive with its shiny dark green rosette-like leaves that make fantastic for indoor pots. Orange Spider Plant prefers tropical or subtropical climates or shaded indoor positions in cool climates place it under trees or ground covers in shady areas of the garden. Chlorophytum Orchidastrum plant is very easy to grow and resist most insects and diseases. Fire-flash is great for container gardening. Indoors, due to its great tolerance for low light conditions and resistance to disease, it is perfect as houseplants in homes and greenhouses or used for interiorscape in offices, hotels and shopping malls.
Scientific name: Chlorophytum Orchidastrum
Common name: Sierra Leone Lily, Orange Spider Plant, Chlorophytum Fire-flash
Native Distribution: Subtropical Africa and Asia
Benefits: Ornamental plant and Air purifier. NASA Clean Air Study reports Spider plants to have the capacity to remove toxins from the air such as FORMALDEHYDE, XYLENE, AND TOLUENE
Orange Spider Plant Care
Keep the plant where bright indirect sunlight receives. Chlorophytum Orchidastrum is quite sensitive to chemicals and insecticides, so avoid getting any of these on the leaves.
- Light: Bright or indirect light. It tolerates semi-shade. Avoid direct sunlight.
- Soil: Moist, well-drained soil.
- Water: Moderate Water. Chlorophytum Orchidastrum needs less water in the winter. Tolerant to periods of drought. Avoid fluoridated water it cause browning foliage or spots
- Temperature: This plant needs temperature around 20-22°C. The Chlorophytum orchidastrum prefers humid conditions. Therefore, spray regularly if grown indoors, or keep in a room with high humidity such as bathrooms.
- Fertilizer: Fertilize with an organic fertilizer twice a month during the growing season. Do not feed during the winter.
- Toxicity: Non-toxic to pets
- Propagation: By Stem cuttings and seeds
Lifespan: Herbaceous perennial
Mode of Nutrition:
Plant Shape: Shrubby
Plant Size: 40 to 50cm
Flower: Blooms creamy white colour flower in Summer